New born babies' pass soft stools frequently because of their breast feeding. But it may vary from baby to baby. Babies with constipation usually evicted stools infrequently with stains of blood on it. Bowel movements of are very low in the case of constipated babies. It may be once in a week or sometimes twice in a week and baby also needs more time to sit on the potty for passing the stools. Stools seem to be large, dry and unusually hard to eject. If your baby is passing loose and soft stools less frequently, then it won't become a problem. If your baby does not even pass stools for more than 2 weeks, then that kind of constipation can be included in the chronic category.
Constipation is mainly associated with the diet patterns of your baby. If your baby does not like to drink enough water, milks and other fluids or if he does not eat enough fiber rich food items may have the chance to get constipate early. Vegetables especially leafy vegetables, beans etc, cereals, grains, fruits etc are the rich source of fiber. Sugary and fatty foods, candy, desserts, ice creams, formula milk etc cause less bowel movement.
In some children, constipation comes out of fear and it become a "self-perpetuating" problem. Once the kid passed hard stool with pain, then out of fear he or she may holds urge of passing stools for the next time. The longer the stool remains on the rectum the harder it becomes and feels difficult to pass in the next time also. The harder stool tears the rectal wall and results the stains of blood on the stools. The harder stool elongates the intestine and weakens the muscles too.
80% of the babies are suffering from constipation. For avoiding constipation and related problems parents can try any of these tips before consulting the doctor.
1. Try to give one extra bottle water to formula milk feeding the babies.
2. Try to include more fiber rich foods like-- cereal, whole-grain breads, vegetables especially beans, peas, leafy vegetables, fruits etc in right quantities
3. As the baby grow increase the quantity of food also. If your baby eats little then passing stools daily will never become possible.
4. Always ensure that your baby is drinking sufficient water. The colon in your baby maintains fluid balance in the body. If colon does not have enough water then it will take water from waste; this may cause stools so hard and rough.
5. Allow your baby to play this may improve the bowel movements much faster.
6. You can insert your small finger inside the rectum of your baby and stimulates for a bit; it will relax the muscles of the rectum
7. Liquid glycerin and Flax oil are considered as a good laxative for small babies. Small drops can put in the rectum will help to move the stools very easily
8. Dry grapes are a good laxative. If you are giving juice of dry grapes in the morning regularly then stool become soft and can pass with out stress
9. Toilet training is an unavoidable thing to solve the constipation. Train your baby to sit regularly on the toilet
10. Mothers can give mental support and feeling of security while urge comes
11. Daily bathing using hot water will also gives benefit to your baby
If the problem of constipation extends more than a week then the consultation of a medical practitioner is necessary. Doctors can recommend enemas, suppository, and other medicines according to the seriousness of the case.Infant Constipation